Every once in awhile, I'll come across an article that is too good not to share, so it is with this one.
Mary DeMuth is a writer, speaker and book mentor who helps folks turn their trials into triumph and with her permission let me share a little bit of this with you.
10 Ways to Spot Spiritual Abuse Ministries:
1. Leaders have a distorted view of respect.
2. Leaders demand allegiance as proof of the follower’s allegiance to Christ.
3. When leaders use exclusive language.
4. When they create a culture of fear and shame.
5. A charismatic leader who started off well but sliped into arrogance, protectionism and pride.
6. They cultivate a dependence on one leader or leaders for spiritual information.
7. They demand servanthood of their followers, but live prestigious, privileged lives.
8. When they buffer him/herself from criticism by placing people around themselves whose only allegiance is to the leader.
9. When they hold to outward performance but reject authentic spirituality.
10. Use exclusivity for allegiance.
Read the entire article here courtesy of ChurchLeaders.com.